Ever had your eye on a polish or two during an online launch or restock only to discover that the item didn’t actually make it into your cart at the last second? Some seller’s websites allow them to have preventative cart-jacking measures in place, but even with these measures you still need lightning fast ninja speed to secure these polishes in your cart. This guide will provide you with some of the ninja training required to ensure you don’t miss out!
I couldn’t resist including this photo from Chalkboard Nails! (source)
– First things first, make sure you know what day and time the release is. Remember that different sellers are located in different parts of the world and their time zone might not be the same as yours. To make sure you get the time correct, a time zone converter can be a handy thing.
– Wake up well ahead of time. You will need to be alert. Have a coffee if you think you need one and crack out the war paint to get in the mood.
– Make a list of the polishes that you’re after so you don’t forget any.
– Make sure that your internet connection is strong, particularly if you are using Wi-Fi. You don’t want to lose signal seconds after the release.
– If you’re on a laptop or mobile, make sure you have enough battery power to get you through. I’d advise you to avoid using your mobile though as mobile websites are not always as user friendly as the full versions.
– Be familiar with the website and know where the cart/checkout button is, and what payment methods are accepted.
– If the website has the option to have an account with them, create an account and log in prior to the release. This will save precious seconds logging in once the release is live.
– This goes for PayPal too. If you will be paying with PayPal make sure your email address is the one selected at the login page ahead of time so that you can quickly enter your password without fumbling around selecting the right account.
– If you think you might want items other than what is being released in the restock/launch BROWSE NOW and add these items to your cart ahead of time so that you’re not scrambling to add them later. Under no circumstances should you browse the website once the release is live.
– Make a bathroom trip prior to the release time. Employing your ninja skills can be nerve-wracking enough without trying to control your bladder as well.
– If you have kids, lock them up and muzzle them. OK, maybe that’s a little extreme. At least put them in front of the TV with a snack or something so that they won’t distract you *fingers crossed*.
– If the seller has added the listings to the website prior to the release (they will show up as ‘out of stock’) open each listing in a new tab for quick, easy access. If they haven’t, work out what part of the website each item will appear on and open these sections in new tabs.
– REFRESH IS YOUR BEST FRIEND. Refresh those tabs constantly. As soon as the page finishes loading hit refresh again. And remember that some sellers will start to add items to the website slightly prior to the release time so be there early.
– Make more than one transaction. If you’re seriously worried about missing out and there’s some items that you want more than others, place an order containing your favourites and come back for the rest if they’re still available (sometimes sellers will even combine shipping if you email and ask nicely).
Hopefully these tips will help you secure the polishes you’ve had your eye on, but don’t be disheartened if you miss out a few times. Some of the girls pouncing on polish releases have been doing so for years and have got it down to a fine art. At the end of the day, as much as it pains me to say this, it’s just polish!
Anthea is currently studying a Bachelor of Business majoring in Marketing and Japanese, and has a qualification in Fashion Design and Technology. When she’s not busy cramming for her next exam she’s working on her nail polish label Sayuri Nail Lacquer, and blogging at Nailed Obsession. You can follow her on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram (@anthea_nailedobsession). You can also find Sayuri on Facebook and Instagram (@sayurinaillacquer).
Banner background image from www.gamershell.com